WALL STREET JOURNAL
NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE
THE WEEKLY STANDARD
DRUDGE REPORT
THE WASHINGTON POST
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
NEW YORK TIMES








Matthew Hoy currently works as a metro page designer at the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The opinions presented here do not represent those of the Union-Tribune and are solely those of the author.

If you have any opinions or comments, please e-mail the author at: hoystory -at- cox -dot- net.

Dec. 7, 2001
Christian Coalition Challenged
Hoystory interviews al Qaeda
Fisking Fritz
Politicizing Prescription Drugs

RSS FEED
<< current


Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More













A note on the Amazon ads: I've chosen to display current events titles in the Amazon box. Unfortunately, Amazon appears to promote a disproportionate number of angry-left books. I have no power over it at this time. Rest assured, I'm still a conservative.



Monday, April 11, 2005
Sahara: Just got back from the theater where I watched "Sahara," based on Clive Cussler's book of the same name. I've long been a fan of Cussler's works, largely because Dirk Pitt makes James Bond look like a pansy.

I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised by the film. I can't say how closely it hews to the book, I last read "Sahara" years ago, but the film is definitely surprised. Going in, I was most worried by Steve Zahn, who plays Al Giordano. In the books Al is a short, strong, smart, capable and witty guy. I was afraid Zahn would play him as the classic comic sidekick -- bumbling and cowardly. I'm happy to say it didn't happen. Zahn has some great one-liners, but he didn't come off as a clown.

Matthew McConaughey does a capable job as Dirk Pitt, but he's not quite how I pictured Pitt as I read the books.

The other notable performance is courtesy Rainn Wilson, who plays Rudi Gunn, NUMA's computer expert.

By and large, "Sahara" is a slightly above average action/adventure film. Definitely worth a matinee admission price.

On a related note: If you've never read any of Cussler's books, start with the stuff in paperback -- "Sahara" is a good choice. Cussler's latest, "Black Wind" isn't bad, but it's a step below most of his others.

1:11 AM

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger Pro™