WALL STREET JOURNAL
NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE
THE WEEKLY STANDARD
DRUDGE REPORT
THE WASHINGTON POST
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
NEW YORK TIMES








Matthew Hoy currently works as a metro page designer at the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The opinions presented here do not represent those of the Union-Tribune and are solely those of the author.

If you have any opinions or comments, please e-mail the author at: hoystory -at- cox -dot- net.

Dec. 7, 2001
Christian Coalition Challenged
Hoystory interviews al Qaeda
Fisking Fritz
Politicizing Prescription Drugs

RSS FEED
<< current


Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More













A note on the Amazon ads: I've chosen to display current events titles in the Amazon box. Unfortunately, Amazon appears to promote a disproportionate number of angry-left books. I have no power over it at this time. Rest assured, I'm still a conservative.



Monday, August 30, 2004
Who the media is rooting for: Patterico points to some analysis made by San Francisco Chronicle columnist Debra Saunders -- one of the minority conservatives in the media -- on the voting tendencies of journalists.


KURTZ: I mention MoveOn, because there are a lot of liberal groups, as you know, Debra Saunders, these 527s -- have there been a double standard in the media in not trying to make Kerry denounce the liberal ads, while reporters ask the president every day, why won't you disassociate yourself from the swift boat ads?

SAUNDERS: I've never seen a voter say to John Kerry, but couldn't you just denounce the ad? Or they say that Bush is whatever. They don't ask him that question. But how many reporters would look at Bush and say, can't you just denounce this one ad? I think that we get used in this. And I think the other thing that I find so...

KURTZ: You're suggesting a double standard?

SAUNDERS: I am suggesting a double standard.

KURTZ: Why do you think that is?

SAUNDERS: I think that most journalists support John Kerry.

KURTZ: You really think that that's the reason?

SAUNDERS: Yes, I do. I work for "The San Francisco Chronicle."


I'll add my voice to that. I think most journalists support John Kerry and I work for the San Diego Union-Tribune. Yes, the U-T is editorially moderate-conservative, but the newsroom is much like any other: liberal.

Just two days ago I was handed a flyer for an anti-war rally Sunday in Balboa Park. I'd just worked six days in a row, so I wasn't going to go to the freak show -- after all, I've heard it all before -- but this was being passed out in the newsroom. I'm sure that this individual had no idea that he was handing the flyer to one of the few people in the newsroom who is politically conservative.

There is also an editor in the newsroom who confessed to me that she was working to register Democrats to vote because just voting against President Bush in this election is "not enough."

Is the media objective and unbiased? Hardly.

9:21 PM

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger Pro™