WALL STREET JOURNAL
NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE
THE WEEKLY STANDARD
DRUDGE REPORT
THE WASHINGTON POST
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
NEW YORK TIMES








Matthew Hoy currently works as a metro page designer at the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The opinions presented here do not represent those of the Union-Tribune and are solely those of the author.

If you have any opinions or comments, please e-mail the author at: hoystory -at- cox -dot- net.

Dec. 7, 2001
Christian Coalition Challenged
Hoystory interviews al Qaeda
Fisking Fritz
Politicizing Prescription Drugs

RSS FEED
<< current


Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More













A note on the Amazon ads: I've chosen to display current events titles in the Amazon box. Unfortunately, Amazon appears to promote a disproportionate number of angry-left books. I have no power over it at this time. Rest assured, I'm still a conservative.



Sunday, January 25, 2004
Good for the goose, good for the gander: A dispatch today from the Associated Press on Inspector David Kay's report on Iraq's lack of WMD's (for a more complete picture of Kay's work, check out this report) contains the following dishonest quote from Vice President Dick Cheney (the quote is dishonest, not the VP):


Cheney warned in March 2003, three days before the invasion: "We believe he (Saddam) has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons."


That quote was uttered on "Meet the Press," hosted by Tim Russert. A look at the transcript reveals that Cheney, several times, referred to "reconstituted nuclear weapons programs" and just once, inadvertantly dropped the word "programs" -- though it's obvious from the larger context what he was saying.

Following in that line of logic, which appears to be good enough for the AP, we had Democrat Presidential frontrunner Sen. John Kerry on "Fox News Sunday."

Sen. Kerry stated repeatedly on the show that he "opposes marriage." That's right, the liberal Massachusetts Democrat is opposed to marriage. What's next? Mom and apple pie?

Well, of course I'm being less than honest by saying that. You have to look at the context.


WALLACE: OK. Over the years, you have voted against banning partial-birth abortions six times. You voted against the Defense of Marriage Act, which defined marriage as a union of a man and woman...

KERRY: Yes, yes.

WALLACE: ... and you have voted against the death penalty, even for terrorists who kill Americans overseas — let me finish — although I know that you later changed your mind on that.

Any second thoughts about those other votes?

KERRY: No, absolutely not, Chris. They were votes of principle, and let me explain them, and I'll be able to explain them to Americans.

I don't support marriage among gays. I've said that many times. That was not my position. But I also don't support the United States Senate being used for gay bashing, for, sort of, discriminatory efforts to try to drive wedges between the American people.

WALLACE: But, wait a minute, Senator...

KERRY: The job...

WALLACE: If I may say just say, on that one, it passed 85-14.

KERRY: Yes, because a lot of people...

WALLACE: Most Democrats voted, you know, for the bill, and Bill Clinton signed it.

KERRY: Because it's an issue that scares people. I said that I do not support marriage, but I don't support the Senate being used to drive wedge issues.

There was no issue when we voted on that. That was politics. And I think it was the politics of discrimination. And that's what I said on the floor. Go read what I said. What I said was, "I don't support marriage. But I do not support..."

WALLACE: You mean gay marriage?

KERRY: Gay marriage. I don't support gay marriage.
[emphasis added]


So, do you think the media will twist the good senator's words for use against him?

Nope, I don't think so either.

3:29 PM

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger Pro™