WALL STREET JOURNAL
NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE
THE WEEKLY STANDARD
DRUDGE REPORT
THE WASHINGTON POST
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
NEW YORK TIMES








Matthew Hoy currently works as a metro page designer at the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The opinions presented here do not represent those of the Union-Tribune and are solely those of the author.

If you have any opinions or comments, please e-mail the author at: hoystory -at- cox -dot- net.

Dec. 7, 2001
Christian Coalition Challenged
Hoystory interviews al Qaeda
Fisking Fritz
Politicizing Prescription Drugs

RSS FEED
<< current


Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More













A note on the Amazon ads: I've chosen to display current events titles in the Amazon box. Unfortunately, Amazon appears to promote a disproportionate number of angry-left books. I have no power over it at this time. Rest assured, I'm still a conservative.



Wednesday, November 12, 2003
Two years later: Today marks two years since I started this blog. I had wanted to create a Web site for some time, but the prospect of spending more time on HTML coding than real writing prevented that.

I eventually came across Blogger one day and the rest, as they say, is history.

When this first began, about the only readers of this site were my family and some of my friends. On an average day I'd get seven or eight hits -- and four of them were me checking to make sure that I hadn't messed up the coding.

Of course, the key to getting anywhere in the blogosphere is getting Glenn Reynolds to notice you. After a few links, my readership started growing.

I've gotten the opportunity to talk to and e-mail and even meet some of the people whose work I'd only read before. I've received e-mails from people across the nation and all over the world who've found my site one way or another.

I've learned to handle criticism -- and critics. I've been called some nasty names.

I haven't made much in the way of money doing this. Some readers have been nice enough to toss a few dollars my way from time to time. One even bought me a book from my Amazon wish list.

Every time my hit counter takes a big jump due to a link from Instapundit, Andrew Sullivan or another of the big names in the blogosphere, my father always encourages me to ask for money. I've always thought that was the worst time to do it. Yes, there are a lot more eyes to see the request, but it's the regular, everyday readers who are more likely tip me because they're getting something on an almost daily basis.

I do this because I enjoy it. When it starts to feel like a chore, I'll stop -- but that day is a long way off.

To all of my readers, I thank you for visiting. Though I don't always respond to e-mails, I do appreciate them.

Once again, thanks.

2:33 AM

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger Pro™