WALL STREET JOURNAL
NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE
THE WEEKLY STANDARD
DRUDGE REPORT
THE WASHINGTON POST
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
NEW YORK TIMES








Matthew Hoy currently works as a metro page designer at the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The opinions presented here do not represent those of the Union-Tribune and are solely those of the author.

If you have any opinions or comments, please e-mail the author at: hoystory -at- cox -dot- net.

Dec. 7, 2001
Christian Coalition Challenged
Hoystory interviews al Qaeda
Fisking Fritz
Politicizing Prescription Drugs

RSS FEED
<< current


Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More













A note on the Amazon ads: I've chosen to display current events titles in the Amazon box. Unfortunately, Amazon appears to promote a disproportionate number of angry-left books. I have no power over it at this time. Rest assured, I'm still a conservative.



Monday, March 10, 2003
Advice to aspiring journalists: I've been in the journalism business for more than a decade (if I count my student-journalism days at Cal Poly SLO) and I've always been happy to help student journalists, aspiring writers and even talk about journalism to schoolkids. So, when asked, I often volunteer to share what I've learned. It usually comes down to "marry rich, because you're never going to make any money." (I often point out that the only job that requires a bachelor's degree that pays less than journalism is that of social worker. Public schoolteachers are rich as far as we're concerned.)

So, I was favorably inclined last week when an e-mail was sent around at the Union-Tribune from a university j-school professor at a BIG XII school seeking, for lack of a better term, pen-pals for some of her students.

That is, I was favorably inclined, until I read the message. Nothing turns me off as a journalist/editor/page-designer than sloppy writing, grammar and a failure to use the SHIFT key on the keyboard. Honestly, this professor, who shall remain nameless, wrote a seven paragraph letter soliciting help -- without capitalizing a thing. Not proper nouns. Not the first word of a sentence. Not the personal pronoun "I."

Professor, you're doing your students a big disservice.

10:35 PM

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger Pro™