WALL STREET JOURNAL
NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE
THE WEEKLY STANDARD
DRUDGE REPORT
THE WASHINGTON POST
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
NEW YORK TIMES








Matthew Hoy currently works as a metro page designer at the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The opinions presented here do not represent those of the Union-Tribune and are solely those of the author.

If you have any opinions or comments, please e-mail the author at: hoystory -at- cox -dot- net.

Dec. 7, 2001
Christian Coalition Challenged
Hoystory interviews al Qaeda
Fisking Fritz
Politicizing Prescription Drugs

RSS FEED
<< current


Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More













A note on the Amazon ads: I've chosen to display current events titles in the Amazon box. Unfortunately, Amazon appears to promote a disproportionate number of angry-left books. I have no power over it at this time. Rest assured, I'm still a conservative.



Monday, December 24, 2001
Normally it takes a heck of a lot to offend me. All of that "art" that they show in certain New York museums and the like may be stupid. It certainly is disgusting. But I don't think I've ever been really offended.

Nope to offend me it takes someone like Stephanie Salter, a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle. In Sunday's paper, Ms. Salter claims to speak for Jesus Christ. In a piece (of what I'll let you decide) entitled "W.W.J.D." Salter tries her hand at theology as she writes as Jesus speaking to President Bush.

I don't know any Christian who would have the chutzpah to even pretend to speak to anyone else this way.


Since Sept. 11, dear brother, I have noticed that you have turned away from me. I do not hear you ask yourself or anyone else the question you once asked all the time: "What would Jesus do?"


This absolutely infuriates me. Who is stephanie salter (she doesn't deserve to have her name capitalized) to judge the state of Bush's relationship with God?


Dear brother, you are right to want to stop evil. The tricky part for humans has always been, what is the best way to stop it? My four-letter answer is written, over and over, in the Bible, but it has been ignored by potentates, peons and sometimes popes for 2,000 years.

Why? Because it contradicts the human instinct for vengeance.

Our Father said, "Vengeance is mine," George, not, "Vengeance belongs to those who have been wronged." Vengeance is never the answer to "What would Jesus do?" Especially vengeance that masquerades as "justice."


What is salter suggesting? It appears that she is saying that if we just show the terrorists love that they will stop and we will all get along.

It is amazing that pacifism drives people like salter to stupidity.

"For I, the Lord, love justice; I hate robbery and iniquity." -- Isaiah 61:8

I'd love to slap some sense into salter, and I would encourage all of you to write a short note to the San Francisco Chronicle and tell them what you think of her.

For a more thorough dissection of salter's piece, read what James Lileks wrote.

I'll give you a short preview before you leave.


Salter's message is quite clear: when the guy in the seat next to you starts lighting his sneakers, whistle a happy Psalm. Tell him you love him. Seek peace, and as you hurtle down into the cold, cold ocean, wrap yourself in your heavy Ghandi cloak for warmth. The cycle of violence has been stopped!

Granted, two hundred people are dead. But at least they didn't die angry. Fighting makes baby Jesus cry.



7:41 PM

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger Pro™