WALL STREET JOURNAL
NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE
THE WEEKLY STANDARD
DRUDGE REPORT
THE WASHINGTON POST
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
NEW YORK TIMES








Matthew Hoy currently works as a metro page designer at the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The opinions presented here do not represent those of the Union-Tribune and are solely those of the author.

If you have any opinions or comments, please e-mail the author at: hoystory -at- cox -dot- net.

Dec. 7, 2001
Christian Coalition Challenged
Hoystory interviews al Qaeda
Fisking Fritz
Politicizing Prescription Drugs

RSS FEED
<< current


Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More













A note on the Amazon ads: I've chosen to display current events titles in the Amazon box. Unfortunately, Amazon appears to promote a disproportionate number of angry-left books. I have no power over it at this time. Rest assured, I'm still a conservative.



Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Photobloggin': I got up early Saturday morning (and stayed up late, but that's story) and headed out to Ramona for the Wildlife Research Institute's Hawkwatch program.

What did I learn? Birds fly south for the Winter. For a couple months, Ramona counts as "south." A 400mm (35mm film equivalent) lens is not nearly enough for serious birdwatching. After doing further research, you really need a telescope along with a series of adapters to connect to your camera. Needless to say, I'll be sticking with landscapes and sports shots.

Honestly, the day would've been a total wash, but their modus operandi is to capture a bird of prey for banding and educational purposes -- that is, showing off to the people who show up.

So, to a couple of photos of a kestrel.





And, of course when transporting the bird, they put it in a tube.



So, those are close-up photos. Long range photos, as I said aren't very doable, and I'm not about to spend the money on lenses that they require because I haven't yet married rich. For example:



All of these are your normal, everyday Canada geese, except the second from the left -- the bird with the greyish neck instead of black. That is a more rare white-fronted goose and it was the only one of its kind in the flock. When I took this shot, I couldn't make out that goose, it was only in post-processing I was able to see it.

So, that will likely be the last of the bird pictures for a very long time. I may post another shot or two of the kestrel later this week, because that's the only one I got decent shots of.


1:58 AM

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger Pro™