WALL STREET JOURNAL
NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE
THE WEEKLY STANDARD
DRUDGE REPORT
THE WASHINGTON POST
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
NEW YORK TIMES








Matthew Hoy currently works as a metro page designer at the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The opinions presented here do not represent those of the Union-Tribune and are solely those of the author.

If you have any opinions or comments, please e-mail the author at: hoystory -at- cox -dot- net.

Dec. 7, 2001
Christian Coalition Challenged
Hoystory interviews al Qaeda
Fisking Fritz
Politicizing Prescription Drugs

RSS FEED
<< current


Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More













A note on the Amazon ads: I've chosen to display current events titles in the Amazon box. Unfortunately, Amazon appears to promote a disproportionate number of angry-left books. I have no power over it at this time. Rest assured, I'm still a conservative.



Friday, June 17, 2005
Non-apology apology: Sen. Dick Durbin has done a limited pullback on his slander of American troops.


“More than 1700 American soldiers have been killed in Iraq and our country’s standing in the world community has been badly damaged by the prison abuses at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo. My statement in the Senate was critical of the policies of this Administration which add to the risk our soldiers face.”

“I will continue to speak out when I disagree with this Administration.”

“I have learned from my statement that historical parallels can be misused and misunderstood. I sincerely regret if what I said caused anyone to misunderstand my true feelings: our soldiers around the world and their families at home deserve our respect, admiration and total support."


Not good enough. Not nearly good enough. This is an I'm-sorry-you-aren't-sophisticated-enough-to-understand-my-towering-intellect-and-nuance "apology."

As far as misusing and misunderstanding historical parallels goes -- you have only yourself to blame because it's obvious you don't know squat about history.

I guess we'll have to try again next week, senator. But you're only making this harder on yourself. A quick and complete apology might have saved you your leadership position. However, now I'm afraid you're gonna have to lose it; or take the Democrat Party down with you -- or both.

10:50 PM

Comments:
YOU are slandering the troops. i doubt even 1% of them would do the shit durbin saw at guantanamo. yet you guys hear what he said and assume the whole military does it every day. YOU are slandering the troops.
 
Durbin's never been to Guantanamo. He hasn't seen anything.

May I suggest remedial reading comprehension -- and a variety of history books, starting with Anne Applebaum's Pulitzer Prize-winning "Gulag: A History".
 
Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger Pro™